
I've been slacking... HARD. Like if there were medals for slacking I'd get silver. I'm not at gold status because I'm actually doing my small runs. The long runs wellllll... not so much. I've done maybe 2. I have 31 days til the Philly half, and I'm not prepared in any way shape or form. I've been enjoying summer; playing tennis, yoga, and other debauchery, not even thinking about running through the streets of Brooklyn for 5+ miles.
I've hit the wall with a vengance..hell I built the wall with mortar and brick; even stopped to admire my handywork. I have to take the bull by the horns and figure out a gameplan. Can I really be ready for this in 31 days? I'm giving myself til the 9/11 (Scheduled NY Road Runners long training run #2) to make a decision. If I can do 10 -12 miles by the that training run on the 11th then I'll run be fine for Philly. If not then I've already paid and signed up for The Nike Women's Half here in NYC on October 18th. I was going to run that race to improve upon my Philly time. But if bad comes to worst it'll be my first half, and I'm okay with that. But it took me a while to get to that conclusion.
I spent the last few days beating myself up for slacking, and feeling like I failed if I don't do the Philly race as scheduled. When it comes to schedules, lists and order I can be very rigid. When I don't do things according to plan I tend to be harder on myself than anyone else. It's a Capricorn thing, I guess and I'm learning that life doesn't work out that way. I remembered my mom saying to me how incredible it was that I was running in the first place.. let alone a half marathon in 6 months. I had to ask myself, if I do it in 7 months does it make it any less gratifying? No... while yes doing at home in Philly will be incredible because there is a chance my fam and friends will show up.. and it's home. But NYC is home too, and while the faces may be different I have fam and friends here that will be there too.
So far, I've only gotten one short run in this week... but the test will be the weekend. The plan is do 2 laps around Prospect Park (8 miles) this weekend. It's a plan I'm sticking to because at this point I have no choice. I've enlisted those around me to keep me motivated and make me stay on track no matter how much I bitch and moan. I'm in Slacker Detox.
Philly is still the plan...but NYC ain't half bad.
1 comment:
We have a sloucher and a slacker! We make great team!
You'll get back your rhythm!
Post a Comment