Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trying to stay motivated

Sometimes you hit a wall that makes you feel like doing NOTHING! It's natural. I've slipped a little from my routine exercise last month and concentrated on running only. This month and next month are very crucial in training. Why? Because, on top of trying to make through a full marathon in October, I have signed up for an ambitious triathlon race towards the end of September. Not only is this race very popular in the bay area, it is also the next distance up in triathlon distances: Olympic. How do I balance my time!!!

The past 30 days, I have been seeing a sports chiropractor about a bump I found on my left collar bone. I believe it was from the soccer injury from last April where I fell right on top of shoulder from an opponent check who took me out. Anyways, I've met with the PT twice and he has been giving me posture exercises that has been helping me greatly. It's been improving my back posture, helping me engage my core muscles, and strengthening my neck and back. This realization of what a sloucher I am has also improved my running. I now try to make sure I run long and tall. Wow, what a difference. My breathing is better and my collar doesn't hurt.

I have to keep reminding myself that training is the what will take me through that race. Although, it will be a great day...nothing is more important than training. The Olympics are on and I watch all these athletes achieve there dreams and get inspired. Without hard training, there's no way they would be there. The training should be the best part right?!

Waking up to get to a training class or going after work has been a struggle lately. When I miss one I feel guilty. For every one I miss, is one more day of being unprepared.

This past weekend I completed my long run one mile short of the goal: 9 instead of 10 miles. I mapped it out wrong. I ran the Nike training route which was filled with hills. It wasn't too bad. I realized downhills are just as bad as going uphill, shin killers. My new headphones BLOW! I hate them with a passion. What a waste. They are the kind that hook around the ear, but they were too long and just kept falling out. I had to finagle the hooks through my hair to keep them in. Nothing disturbs my runs than malfunctioning gear. This is another reason, I'm hating gadgetry on runs.

I wore my hydration belt and found a cure to all the new bulky weight I experienced during my half marathon: leaving the bottle empty and planning a route that passes by a water fountain. Midway through my run I fill it up. After my run, I immediately had a protein drink to help with muscle repair and then filled the tub with cold ass water to soak my legs to reduce muscle swelling. Another new trick I learned that helped battle the blister mania was coating the bottoms of my feet with Vaseline. It did wonders! Not to mention wearing the correct socks!

When I returned, low and behold the menstrual cycle started. This affected me today by opting out of an Aquatic Park swim. I'm a little sad about that but hopefully, tomorrow will work out better.

I have exactly 4 weeks to go hard and fit in some cycling and swimming. I have a couple of trips coming up and I am worried that those days out of town my affect my training.

No distractions this month please!

Oh yeah, I have a new mantra: "Strong legs, strong back..."

Sorry for the ramble...just writing out loud.

View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

No comments: