
This was by far a NON-STRESSFUL race. Unlike my first race, I had experience and didn't have the anxiety pre-race jitters. I was definitely unable to sleep well in the hotel that night. I just couldn't calm my thoughts! Woke up at 5:30AM, did my morning duties. Double checked all my gear, ran thru my mental checklist and made sure everything made it back in the car.

Got a call from another Mermaid participate around 6:15AM to see if I was already there. I had met Nicole at a previous swim clinic. This would be her first triathlon. We wanted to set up our bikes next to each other but found out we were grouped by Age Division...she's 5 years older than me and does NOT look like it!

The morning was spent, setting up my bike and transition area and mentally going over how to transition from swim-bike-run. Around 7:45AM, we headed down to the water to watch the early start waves begin their swim and possibly watch and learn. The first was Athena (45+), For Fun Division (All Ages), then Age groups: 40-45, 35-39, 30-34, 20-29.

The waiting around was okay, since I LOVE to cheer the swimmers coming out of the water. I know how it feels to get an extra boost of love to make you move a little bit faster.
My heat started about 8:50AM. The swim was in flat, calm, fresh water. My age group was super fast! Last September, I went with the For Fun Division. Swimming to the first buoy I was already breathing super hard. That's when I realized I was so amped that I took off at a pace I've never swam. I was burning up in my wetsuit. I felt like ripping it off because I was getting hot. I was also swallowing a lot of water when I went to breathe, I would sometimes choke when looking up to sight where I was going. I had a fairly smooth swim with an occasional bump from another swimmer's leg or arm. For the most part, I swam with no one around me. This made me worry that I was probably WAY in the back. If I was..I sure as hell didn't care and couldn't wait to touchdown back to land!



I felt good, but felt like I've been sprinting for 10 minutes. At least I can chill on the bike ride. I jogged into the transition area, removed my wetsuit, wiped myself down as much as I could (I wanted so badly to sit down!), and proceeded to changing. I set up an assembly line so that I put on my clothes in order. Towel, socks, shoes, bike jersey, headband, sunglasses, helmet. Took a swig of water and headed off.


he bike course was 3 laps totalling 11 miles. The course was super FLAT along streets block and manned by the best volunteers and policemen and women. I made sure that each person I rode by I said, "Thank you!". They appreciated it and I appreciated their kind encouraging words! The last lap and half I picked up the pace. I was still past by women on higher end bicycles. I was a little envious. I felt my effort was "effortless" on their bikes. All is good. I love my bike. Her name is "Gundam" and she did me proud. We passed people too! I spotted my boyfriend every round and every part of my race. He is my 1 fan and was so happy to share the experience with him!!!

So far so good. The bike ride let me get my breath back and was still felt strong. Coming back into the transition area. I switched to my running shoes and headed out to the run course for an out and back 2.5 mile run. The sun finally came out and the heat was in full effect! I loved the course because it was a trail course made up of gravel or soft trail. I ran this pretty slow and easy. I was in no rush and wanted to enjoy the last of my race. I had so much energy reserved I ended up chatting with a woman and realized...hmm, if I can run and talk, I must not be running hard enough, and maybe this woman doesn't want be to be bothered by my idle banter. Leave her alone. So I fell back.

The last 200 yards to the finish was on SAND! Of all the ways to make us look slow, they ended it on the beach with soft sand. I started to pick up my stride and sprint to the finish. I sighted my boyfriend and heard him cheer my name really loud as well as take photos. (He's the great photographer behind these photos). I think I looked rather silly, since it seems like I was kicking up more sand, moving super fast but not going anywhere, DAMN sand! LOL. After crossing the finish, all I wanted was WATER. In my first triathlon, at the finish, BOTH of my legs went into severe cramping and was balling my eyes out in pain.


NOT THIS TIME.
I felt great, just a bit tired and thirsty. I collapsed on the grass and took a minute to regroup. Stinke came over and was so happy for me and gave me a great big kiss and he told me how proud he was. I told him, I'm not crying this time, because I had actually already broke down and balled my eyes out from extreme overload of emotion on lap 2 of the bike course. He just laughed.


Better than a MEDAL.
The End.
PS. More pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jpalbusa/MermaidTriathlonFremontCA061408
1 comment:
YAYYYYYY!! That just made me cry. YOU BITCH! I'm so very proud of u chica bonita!
Post a Comment