Sunday, May 18, 2008

Strangest Race Ever




Left an hour early for the race, but arrived via a bus & a cab ride to the starting line 10 minutes late because of packed public trans buses and trains. We had to run and dodge around the costumes and walkers to get enough room to actually run the race. The first mile took 22 minutes to complete because of the massive amount of people in the race.

I saw a crew of storm troopers (so dope!), old nekkid men, strawberry shortcake crews, floats, djs, you name it, it was worn...like a 2nd halloween party and full on city block party. At mile two, was the infamous Hayes Street hill. It ascends 211 ft with an 11+% uphill grade climb. I lost Stinke at this hill. We were running together but my short legs is just too slow to stay with me on this hill...all for self, I totally understand. I never looked up until I reached the top, by then, the massive sea of people in front of me would be impossible to find my boyfriend. It's okay. He's 6'2" with a stride that takes me two times more effort to keep up with. I think the diverse array of people, and all the different music blaring out of every window every couple houses really pulled me up. Along with the many bystanders cheering us on. SF people maybe quirky and strange, but they are all pretty loving and supportive....sometimes, today, yes.

Once at the top of the hill it was all downhill and flat. Mile 4, marked the beginning of Golden Gate Park. Up until mile 4, the weather was HOT, I had worn a long sleeve because in Inner Sunset it was cold and foggy that morning. Downtown, was hot humid and filled with people in costumes tossing around tortillas, inflated balls, and rubber handballs (during mile 1 we were pegged at the feet by them!). Entering GGP, it was cloud-covered, foggy and cool, thank goodness! Passed another house and they cranked up the Rocky Theme music, I smiled and got my 2nd wind.

This is my hood and I know this park like the back of my hand. Only 3.5 miles to go and its all down-sloped!

Mile 5, I kicked up the pace. I had reserved energy. I had to make up time, the first mile was an upset to me.

Mile 6, was picture central. There were lights set up and an overpass of photographers...I was a hot looking mess! LOL

By now, we were about to pass the where the buffalo roam (literally!). Only a 1.5 miles left...kick it up more. I saw the ocean! Made a turn onto Great Highway and had about 400 yds left...I could see the finish line!!! So fucking happy, as my knees wanted me to stop...I hadn't stopped the entire race.

Sprinted thru the finish line and was in dying need of water.

1 hour 29 minutes...not bad considering the first mile took 22 minutes!

I was a little sad because, I lost my boyfriend. Next time we have to plan in case we get split up. I didn't have any money or my MUNI pass. I failed to stay for the after festivities since my sweat was cooling me down, so I ended up walking home.

Stinke finally came home 1hour after me, by finding me sitting at the front of our door waiting. We must have missed each other, as he waiting at the Finish Line till the end of the race looking for me! (His time 1 hr 15 minutes.)

We came home, ate and drank a ton of water and NAPPED for a couple of hours.

Overall, I'd have to say that was a cool race to run across the city of SF. But there were way too many people to consider this as a serious race to run 7.45 miles stress-free (or you can arrive 2 hours early to be up front). There had to be at least 100,000+ people. That hill was ridiculous, but I made it. If we do it again, we want to dress up with a team and be merry. Like dressing up as a Storm Trooper!!! :)

I have to admit, it was kinda fun :)


More pics here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?o=0&f=/c/a/2008/05/18/BAFE10OMG3.DTL

1 comment:

MsFatindaPantz said...

Great story.. I'm so happy for you. Storm troopers, naked people, and blindmen..oh my! That is one of the craziest races ever... Told you that Rocky Theme Music works man! Don't sleep on Rocky, son!