Friday, May 16, 2008

The unveiling of the biker shorts


Yesterday in SF, was "Bike to Work Day". At strategic locations all over city, the SF Bike Coalition had tables set up on corners with free water, Clif bars, oranges, apples, sports drinks, literature and free tote bags.

Today, was my first bike ride downtown to work. At first, I had on my pretty summer dress on and flip flops. My boyfriend was going to ride down with me since we both work blocks away, says, "Are you going to ride in that?" Oh, no...so I went and pulled out my tight biker shorts, slipped them under my dress, put on socks and shoes and said, okay, now I'm ready. I realized it was very hot out and didn't want to sweat in my dress, so I took it off and packed it in my backpack and put on my Bjork shirt. Okay...now I'm ready.

The commute really makes me nervous because city riding is stressful to me. I worry about cars that are no paying attention and sharing that road with them during the busy morning and evenings.
But I made it. The ride down was nice since it went downhill, but once we hit busy Market St, I knew it was time to put my game face on. By the time I got to work, I swear I was sweating because of my nerves and not because of a workout.

Coming back home, was again nerve-racking, I noticed I gripped my handles harder and ended up with what it starting to become a callous in my palms. Yuck! The route back home was also hilly! We made it home and I felt really accomplished. My BF said that the more you do the ride, the less scary it becomes...we shall see!

Today, at lunch we are picking up our race packets at the Civic Center for the infamous and ever popular Bay to Breakers 12K race this Sunday. I'm super excited. This week, I was able to fit two 6.5 mile runs in and am confident we will finish this race. Then again, we haven't practiced the steep hill climb at Mile 2!!! This is a quirky race, I wonder if we should dress up?! :)

Watch the promo video: http://www.ingbaytobreakers.com/home_video.html

1 comment:

MsFatindaPantz said...

Dress up! It will be so cool!