Sunday, March 16, 2008

If they can do it...

My 22 yr old sister and 65 yr old dad just finished the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach today. I am so proud of them!

My sister just called, she is in awe, but most likely tired and hungry. "We did it!"

"In the car going back home, I think we were thinking the same thing...I can’t believe we just did that.." -they both just sat in the car in silence...on the way to McDonald’s (WTF? lol)

"Where’s dad?"
"He’s sleeping now"

I’m so proud of them. My sister finished 15 minutes faster than him. I was very nervous about him running this, since he thinks he’s invincible. Yesterday, I asked her to make sure she prepped him on hydrating throughout the course and to take it easy. (There have been times my dad has come home cut up in the knees because he’s fallen on the pavement before from not hydrating properly)

What’s insane is that they registered yesterday during the 8k run.

The results:

Saturday, 3/15: 8K (5 miles)
My sister: 47 mins 43 secs
My dad: 56 mins 48 secs

Sunday, 3/16: Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
My sister: 2 hrs 20 min 20 secs
My dad: 2hr 37 min 48 secs

Tentatively, I've asked my parents to come to SF in August. I asked my dad if he'd want to run the SF Half Marathon. I may run it with him if I don't get selected for the Nike Women's Marathon. It got super psyched when I told him he would be running across the Golden Gate Bridge. I've never run a race with my dad and I would love to do this with him.

No comments: