Saturday, October 18, 2008

Run Like A Girl.




Today was bib pickup specifically for Bay Area runners for the Nike Women's Marathon and Half Marathon race. I left work and headed over to Union Square. It was converted into a tented area called the Expotique. There, I was met with a LONG ASS LINE. 10 minutes later, a volunteer walked up and down the line and asked who was running the full marathon and to go up to the front. Low and behold the full marathon line was pretty sparse compared to the Half Marathon line!



Got my goodie bag and headed in!
The amenities for the race is crazy. Not only is there a Tiffany necklace waiting for you at the finish line but along the race course, there is a 2 Ghirardelli choclate stations , 2 pedicare stations, jamba juice and banana station, along with the normal gatorade/water/luna moons gels stations!

They gave us a drink ticket to help ourselves to wine, beverages, cheeses and fruits...I'll pass for now.

Inside the Expotique, the first place I headed to was the free Etching Station:



I was going to add my mantra but then I'd have to stand in line again. I bypassed the running gait analysis (I already know I run flat footed and overpronated, do I need to show everyone on the big screens?!)

Then walked into a bigger room, all this was FREE (but some lines were longer than others):

Chair Massage


Complimentary Manicures


Button Makers (I made a ton of these!)


Oxygen bar sponsored by Cole Haan



Next to them was free sample products from Laura Mercier.

Walked around a bit to see the sportswear, but contained myself and walked over to Niketown right across the street.


Along the side of the building was a huge wall with thousands and thousands of names.


This race is sponsoring the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to raise funds, so most of the entrants are running for Team & Training.

I can't believe I found my name!



After perusing the store, Stinke met up with me and gave me an earfull about shopping and I put everything back :(

We got dinner and when we arrived home, I was pleased to see a small package from ALFIE:
Oh no you didn't!!!! I heart my friends. Inside was an Ugly Doll, a motivational note, some necessary candy and Salonpas pain pad (I have some of these in stock too!)

Alfie, thank you so much, I never expected this and I truly appreciate it. Somehow, I'm gonna try and see if can it can be attached to my hydration belt. :)




Sunday is the big day! 26.2 miles or bust.

No comments: