Thursday, September 18, 2008

U got Beef?




I love meat... No really I love it. I'm an omnivore, I never shy away from veggies and legumes but most of my meals consist of meat and veggies. I'm not a huge fan of rice or most starches.. (i love a good french fry.. *salivate*). I'm not a fan of just beef, I like meat in general.. all types. Lately I've been eating alot of seafood because it's leaner and more heart healthy. However when I want steak.. I want steak and I get it. Well seasoned, lean, medium..(a little pink).. no sauce just big n juicy. YUM!




Flashback to last week, I was in Whole Foods at the meat counter all set to buy chicken. When I spotted these Flintstone sized beef kebabs marinated in Peter Luger's Steakhouse (a BK landmark) Sauce. All ideas of chicken went out of the window, and there I was lugging these kebabs home. I road the train thinking about how juicy the meat would be, playing off the sweetness of the bell pepper once grilled to perfection.




Needless to say it was a great meal with some grilled zucchini brushed with lemon butter on the side. I thought that was the end of my journey into meat heaven, but alas the weekend came and I found myself in Philly. Me and the girls decide to hit Johnny and Brenda's for dinner. Of course I ordered the pulled pork sliders. The next morning Amish breakfast at Reading Terminal a big plate of bacon... dinner that night Cheesesteaks. 3am snack - a half a cheesesteak.


In one week I managed to eat half of the animal kingdom and I know my body was hurting.




Sunday, I woke up determined to make amends. We headed to a diner for breakfast, I ordered smoked salmon a bagel. My body was still reeling so I knew that wasn't enuff. I vowed to go meatless for 4 days. YIKES!!




Over the last 4 days I've eaten Amy's Organic Roasted veggie pizza, butternut squash soup, Quinoa, tons of salad and absolutely no meat of any kind. Not even seafood. I really thought these days would be difficult and some were harder than others. I went to Whole Foods with a friend on Monday and saw some awesome marinated flank stank. They had to pry my fingers from the meat case, and wipe off my drool.




I've done so well on this meatless kick that I've decided to go an entire week sans flesh. I've also considered doing this every other week as a sort of cleanse. Who knows maybe one day I won't want it at all.... NAHHHHH.

No comments: