Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Injuries Happen, Shopping is the Cure





I've just completed my first (4) weeks of training. At the end of each week, I plan which Tri Club work outs fit into my weekly schedule. For instance, if Monday is Swim 60 minutes/Spin 60, I will select a work out class and times for that day, offered by the Tri Club. It's been life changing, as I have also found that life happens and so does injuries. Into the 2nd week, I pulled my left quad in a soccer game that forced me to have more rest days. Last week, I pulled my hamstring doing speed workouts at the track, I rested two days, played soccer and re-injured it. Again, two more additional rest days. Also, last week, I brought my bike in for a tune up
and learned the correct way to change gears. All this time, the way I had been changing my gears was WRONG! Oh well. I've learned to accept that things don't always go as planned and to go with the flow. Like, showing up to an early AM Spin class 10 minutes late, rushing to setup the bike, joining in, then looking into the mirror and realizing that my shirt is on backwards, (No wonder I felt like my shirt was choking me!).

Because I was hurt, I had a lapse in my training and decided to do go on a two-day drinking fest with friends. I even smoked cigarettes, oh SHAME! I have to admit, drinking for 8 hours straight two days in a row was fun..but I definitely felt it later.

Today, I met with the Tri coach and I told her about my progress. We devised the next (4) weeks schedule and adjusted accordingly. For one, no more speed workouts on the track...

Since I have refused to buy clothes until I lose some of my hip & stomach fat, I've spent my money on work out gear and accessories.
My newest toys are my Ipod Nano and a Heart Rate Monitor. I'm going to test out the heart rate monitor this evening.



I've also bought a new swimming suit, a foam roller, two pairs of running shorts, a sports bra, two dry fit shirts, a purple swim cap, a tri suit, and a jump rope...all in the course of last month...a bit much??? Absolutely.

Newest issue of Runners World (May 2008) has some great articles for newbies. I've posted a short version of one of them:

Head Off Fatigue: When your body's tired, let your mind do the work

1. Fantasize: ..pretend you're in the Olympics, or any big even, and you're about to win--but only if you can hold off the guy behind you. He inches closer, the crowd gasps...

2. Use your surroundings: ...pick an object--a tree, a stop sign--and focus on running to it. When you get there, pick a new object...

3. Plan ahead: ...distract yourself by utilizing the time for some productive thinking: mull over an issue at work, mentally write your grocery list, compose a letter, or plan dinner...

4. Talk to yourself: ..use a mantra to rally strength, it might be a word or a phrase like "push" or "you can do this" or a sound...

1 comment:

MsFatindaPantz said...

Shop til u drop... in more ways than one. I like those tips, I always do the focus on one object and run to it one. I just dont pick another object after that. This is why I like running outside. Never thought I'd put the words like and running would in the same sentence. Take care of uself mama, CHILLAX.