Sunday, April 13, 2008

I just don't give a fog!



Last Thursday, I wake up pysched to run. I open the door inhale the "fresh" Brooklyn air. I was greeted by the thickest fog ever. I think "Oh this is going to be fun!". I've already had my reservations about running alone in the park at twilight. Usually, 10 minutes into my run the sun is up, otherwise I'd still be in the gym running on the lowly treadmill. This IS Brooklyn!

I tell myself "Man up!", and proceed to the park. The park looked mean and ominous. I wanted to turn right back around and go home. It was spooky, there was a stillness in the park I'd never noticed. It was so quiet, you know like in a horror movie right before the dummy in the woods thinks its safe and then BAM Jason kills them with an axe. I swear the birds started chirping but it wasn't their normal chirp, more like the sound you hear right before Jason attacks you with an axe.

I start running, figuring it's safer than walking from Jason or Freddie or that freak Michael Myers. I'm telling myself, the noises you hear are all in your mind.. its only a little fog and no that isn't the Headless Horseman running towards you thats a fellow runner. Hmm.. maybe its the Headless Runner? Nahhh.. it was just the lady you see running every morning dummy. Calm down... seriously u're acting like a goofball. But really, the trees look like the tree monsters from Lord of the Rings.. damn you fog!

Just breathe and run. Hold up, I've passed this tree 3x without walking. Did I just run 1.5 miles without stopping? I did! Bless you fog, bless you Jason, Freddie and Michael..bless you Headless Runner! It turns out freaking myself out made me run faster and longer without stopping. I immediately started walking because my body caught up with my mind and i started weezing a little. Mind over matter...

1 comment:

Mojito Atari said...

You're brave. I would have never gone in there without thinking of Chronicles of Narnia or hidden elves out to get me.