I have to remember not to try to go out too hard with my base training. My first time on the treadmill, I ran for 30 minutes. But I felt so strong I added several 30 sec sprint intervals the last 10 minutes. I shouldn't have done that...
That was 2 weeks ago, Now I have a sore hip flexor and lower back pain: psoas. My foam roller has become my friend every night and I've been doing more core work. Taking more time to do more planks, sit-ups, and leg lifts. I'm not one to stretch but now in my older age, the realization that I am not so limber finally has sunk in.
My triathlon swim training kicked off last Tuesday. I think the worst part is motivating to wake up at 6am to get to the pool. I was a little intimidated since I haven't swam in close to 4 months! I knew my endurance and form was going to suck. But hey, it can only get better! There was a good turnout, 3 lanes with about 5 people in each lane: slow, intermediate, advanced. I actually made it through the class and was ok! It always takes me awhile to warm up and loosen up. I'm always tense and tend to over analyze my form. Honestly, by the end of class, I was tired. So much show, the coach noticed...
"Could you move your arms a little faster? Your turnover is pretty slow...you're not really moving..." I just laughed, because in my head the whole time, I was thinking long extended strokes...but I guess I also forgot to KICK! LOL
I went to work with of course a chlorine allergy reaction and sneezed the whole morning.
The next day during lunch, a co-worker who is also training for a half marathon invited me to run with him. I accepted. Peer-pressure will keep you honest.
We ran along the embarcadero nice an easy, it's about 1-mile from the front of our building to AT&T Park. I remembered to keep it nice and easy, no full exertion, no fast running. When we got to the 1-mile mark, he continued on while I did some running drills. Below are a few:
Matt Dixon is one of the cycling instructors at my indoor cycling facility I train at. He is also a coach.
All the videos are here in this article: Revamp Your Run with Matt Dixon
This week I started back at VeloSF to improve on my cycling. A couple of years ago, I injured my right achilles playing soccer, again the reason was improper warm up and stretching. It took up until the end of last year to heal. During this time, I did not really participate in a full triathlon but more on swimming and cycling. I participated in Aquabike duathlons and cycling. This year, I intend to better my skills and speed. The class yesterday was focused on rollers and hill-climbing and accelerating up and into the descent. Lots of time out of the saddle.
Before class we had a 30min core strength training on the TRX system. Something totally new to me and was super challenging!
No comments:
Post a Comment