Today was my first major long run: 9 miles. Friday and Saturday felt like I was eating lots of breads: pizza, pasta, bagels, english muffins, lots of fruit: bananas, peaches, strawberries, meat: ground turkey and roasted chicken.
This past week has been very hot for San Francisco standards. My weekly 3-4 milers was done after work in sunny humid conditions. My body tends to get hot really quick and I always find my arms dry. The sweat always seems to evaporate quickly. I can actually see and feel the grainy white salt crystals on my legs. My face always salty. I'm listing some of my favorite products that I use religiously to help with hydration and energy.
NUUN Tablets | http://www.nuun.com
These are hydration tablets that you drop into your water. Containing no sugar, no preservative. All electrolytes. I lost so much sweat and salt that I always drop these into my 16oz bottle. I drink 1-2 16oz plus regular water. Better than Vitamin Water! No mess, simple and specific for hydration only.
Another source of natural electrolytes and potassium (other than bananas) is COCONUT WATER! My newest addition to hydration.

I actually like the taste of this brand. They are about $1.50 here at Whole Foods. The handy small size is great for one offs or for lunch.
I decided to test out the brand GU for my run today. Since, April, I have been testing out different energy gels. Usually taking one before or after a workout, since none of my workouts are more than 1 hour, I didn't feel the need to re-up in energy during the workout. The energy gels did help me after a workout to satisfy hunger until I went home for dinner after work.
Brands I've tested:
PowerBar Gel: Strawberry Banana, Vanilla
Get them at: GNC, Walgreens, Athletic Specialty store

Watery, sweet, Strawberry Banana has caffeine, Vanilla doesn't taste like vanilla. Has electrolytes. It's so sweet, I have to follow it up with water. Since it's more fluid, it can get sticky and messy if you may run with it. Not my favorite, but will suffice.
Clif Shot: Razz, Mocha, Apple Pie
Get them at: Athletic Specialty Store or Cycling store, online


The Apple Pie really does taste like Apple Pie compote! This is my favorite flavor from this brand. Pretty thick. I usually follow up with water to help wash down. But most times don't to let the flavor linger especially post workout. Great thing about Clif Shots are that they have a litter leash so that the little tab you rip stay intact to the body for less litter on the ground! This is second runner up. I really like the Apple Pie flavor. The ingredients list is less than 10 items. They use Organic Brown Rice syrup for the sugar...no artificials here.
Clif Bloks: Strawberry, Cran Craze
Get them at: Athletic Specialty Store

Not really a gel, but I tried these after my triathlon. They were one of the sponsors. They are gelatinous engery blocks that are fruit flavored. I wanted to say like gummi bears, but not quite. The flavor is rather different. I don't know if I can say they helped any, but I certainly didn't feel horrible after eating it.
GU Energy Gel: Lemon Sublime, Vanilla Bean
Get them at: Athletic Specialty Store or Cycling store, online

By far my favorite. Not too thick, not too watery. Goes down fine for me without water. The vanilla bean is my favorite because it taste like vanilla pudding (just close your eyes and don't look at the packaging)
The Vanilla Bean flavor was the one I brought with me during my long run. Before this day, I didn't feel the need to carry and energy gels or water because my runs were usually 3-5 miles. During one of my 6 milers, I noticed that I was feeling really sluggish, my skin was clammy and I really wasn't sweating. I realized that I need to make sure I stayed hydrated BEFORE I start feeling shitty.
Before I left the house, I made sure I relieved my bowels. EAT something! I had a Luna Bar, banana, 16oz of water with Nuun, and another 8oz of water. Strapped on my heart rate monitor, tucked my chapstick and gel in my pocket, $2 and my MUNI pass in my wrist wallet and headed out the door.
The weather was low 60s, no sun, slight breeze. I wore a loose Brooks dryfit tee that I got for free at a clinic and my trusty New Balance short with built in compression shorts (I seriously love these). I also made sure I lubed up the inner thighs with Bodyglide to: #1 prevent chub rub (thick jawns know this well) & #2 Use as a glue to keep the compression shorts from riding up. I actually left my newer pair of running shoes at my gym and had to wear my older ones. Psyched myself up and went outside around 9:30 AM across the street into Golden Gate park.
It never fails, the first 2 miles are always hard for me. It's like the warmup "wake up" legs run. Where I realize my weight and get reminded, I need to slim down. During this time I try to get my mind right and think of things to keep me occupied for the next 9 miles. I'm not sure I can ever wear headphones or hold an ipod. It just seems like too many gadgets to be aware of. Knowing me, I'd probably drop it.
To make this short and sweet, the run was slow and easy. At mile 3.5, I broke throught the trees to be met by the ocean. Ran .5 miles on the bike path and went right back into the park. During this time I also pulled out the GU and sucked on it little by little thru mile 4. Fifteen minutes later, my top half of my body was great! I was not tired and my breathing was steady. But my legs were starting to feel a little tired. I ran pretty this 4-5 pretty slow because it was a new route and wanted to conserve energy. I had no idea how far I was from my house or how much left since I veered off my proposed course. I finally saw that I was by the de Young Museum by my house and got right back on my original course. Again, my body felt great but my legs were getting weary. I made sure to keep my posture, ensured that my heel strike didn't overpronate as much as I can control. I had short strides by quick turnovers. I made my way past my house and every little of strength NOT to stop. I knew I could finishe another 1 mile loop. The problem that I hope will not big a BIG problem was that: I was getting bored.
I realized that I didn't finish with any hard breathing which leads me to believe I have the potential to push myself to go faster. I kind of miss having soccer to mix up the training with some fast sprints involved. This week, I plan on using the track for one of my 3-milers to do some short sprints to help increase speed.
Came home, drank lots of water, 16oz with Nuun: Lemon Lime tablet, 1 nectarine, and Coconut Water
Stats:
Mileage: 8.56 Miles
Time Duration: 1:47:56
Calories Lost: 1575 kcal
Avg Heart Rate: 165
Peak Heart Rate: 180
1 comment:
Way to go Chica! I can only imagine how your mind must get bored after mile 6... esp without music or something. I'd go nuts!
Why is mile 1 & 2 so friggin HARD??? Have you tried the chocolate explosion GU? It's not bad. I'm gonna try that coconut water.
Post a Comment